Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It's alive, not without problems.

Got a chance to have a go at starting the 200, after stand stability problems were sorted, gear oil and fuel supply, a cut off wire to stop it. I also hooked up a choke and throttle wire then I did a compression test and it came through with a 135psi after 4 kicks. Nervously I began kicking it, it took me a second to realise I wasn't in neutral, my advanced fuel supply unit, a coke bottle upside down with the fuel hose taped to a hole in the lid, failed pretty much straight away so I caught what I could as it ran down the hose leaving the hose full, that'll be enough for now I thought, next the super duper choke wire handle fell off, so I made a more robust one, OK good to go. I tried a few times and it was hard to kick, four or five times and finally a burst of life and the next kick she was off, it idled for about 10 seconds and died, I was trying to get the throttle cable but missed to opportunity. I was happy with the start anyway. I tried to give it another go, got nothing no pressure from engaging the gears on the kick start, engine not turning over, yet turning the flywheel by hand it did. my heart sank, I just packed everything up and left it at that.
Good old Modern Vespa comes through with the goods, confirmed by someone smarter than me, signs point to clutch problem, not splitting the cases as I first thought, sure enough the retaining ring on the clutch basket had popped out, just glad I wasn't doing 100 kph at the time. I rebuilt the clutch and put it back in, I will have some time tomorrow to have another go. I'd put it in the sprint but I am going to a club brekkie on Sunday and want to break the engine in a bit before I take it that far from home.

Blue wire on the right will act as a temporary kill when grounded to the case.

not pretty, but this puppy ain't going anywhere.


                                          Choke lever and the throttle cable (wound up)
This is what popped out at me when I took off the clutch cover, all sorted and back together now ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment