Monday, November 5, 2012

Project "P-Rocket"

In a few days time I will be embarking on the next exciting Vespa adventure, I have sold my beloved Vespa GT200 and will be parting ways with it on Saturday, it will be missed for sure, it has taken me over 20K kms and I loved every minute of it, but you can only ride one scooter at a time and after the love, effort, the sweat and blood, cash, the swearing and the satisfaction I have experienced with the Sprint V, I just couldn't give it up.
So the other side of the deal is I get in return for the GT, a handful of cold hard cash!
What am I going to do with it? I will pay some bills, buy the good wife a pair of shoes, maybe a much needed child free night out to dinner and a movie, my eldest son starts school next year, so he'll need uniforms and some other gear, the mortgage etc.
Then I will start the "Project"
I have a set of 1980 P200E cases on the way from the US, a big thanks along with a bottle of Australia's finest rum, Bundaberg of course, goes out to my Vespa sounding board and friend Porter for his assistance and the cases.
P-Rocket will be rebuild using the best NOS Piaggio parts I can find, everything will be brand new or top condition used and supplied by Carters Classic Scooters in South Australia.
Once up and running I'll drop the current engine and through it in for a good solid reliable ride, the current engine will be stripped down and I will rebuild a set of matching Aussie delivered Sprint V cases, 1974 I think from memory, I got these from another Vespa sounding board and friend Kelvin, of Kickstart Scooters in Brisbane, for this I will be using what I can from the engine and replacing some things I know need to be replaced, like rear axle, cush gear and a few odds and ends. I guess then I will decide if I need to find a frame for it or sell it?
All this will start as of Saturday and I hope to be kicking it over before Christmas, with the experience I have already gained with the SPV, A P range Haynes Manual and the 5 hr engine rebuild DVD from Scooter Techniques, this should be an easy and enjoyable build.

No comments:

Post a Comment