Monday, May 27, 2013

Cracking up






 

 
OK this has been ongoing, imperfections in the paintwork, hairline cracks etc., but I noticed on the weekend that there were two areas that had just reared their heads.
The first pic is a little out of focus, but you can see the hairline crack in three spots. Between the two stand nuts, to the left and down towards the corner of the pic and finally there is also one that is hard to see that runs up the diagonal join an inch or so. I know there is no welding in the tunnel because I have taken a photo myself during the first few inspections, I couldn't see nor feel any signs of repair welds and am sure that the cracks are the filler in the grooves cracking from the floor flexing through riding, sitting on the scooter whilst on the stand and transporting a box of beer on the floor once a week or so. The third pic is the non brake side, nowhere near as bad.
The second pic is of the trim cracked in two, this happened on Sunday when I rode down to Geelong for a club brekkie. The location of the two securing screws for the tail light cover has come through most likely by vibration and the top notch quality of both the paint and the painter, has come away. The corner is broken off, I'm not sure which one was responsible, but two of my boys were "helping" me "fix" the 200 engine I'm building, they went inside and I found the piece on the floor, most likely hit with one of the tools they were playing with...
There is a one inch crack on the rear of the bike below the back of the seat and finally I have had a vibration noise coming from the front somewhere and I now know where. the rear bolt that holds the front fender on had come loose, despite the Vietnamese restorers fool proof double nut securing system, this had caused a circle of paint to bubble away and I peeled it off, it was about the size of a fifty cent piece. I hit it with a small wire brush and cleaner, painted it with two coats of cold gal paint and finally I replaced the bolt, washers and nut. Good to go.
As for the rest of what's going on, on my way to Geelong on Sunday, the speedo clicked over 9420kms, no biggie really, but it is the 5000km mark for the DR177 kit, once I got it set up I haven't touched it, save an oil change or two, a re torque of the cylinder head nuts, check and clean of the plug. Hasn't been a problem since. although I do need to give it some love, the cables need to be adjusted, it needs a clean too.
She keeps jumping out of second, not all that often, but it does seem to happen when there is someone admiring the machine as I zip off from the lights or toot a group of girls passing by...all that other stuff can wait until the 200 rig is ready to slot in. On that, still no delivery, any day now. I have given the piston some 1200 grit wet and dry loving and a baby's bum would be jealous of how smooth it is, as I have said before, so now we wait.

1 comment:

  1. Do not sit on your scooter with the stand down, ever, it cracks the floorboards at the bolt heads.

    ReplyDelete