Monday, May 13, 2013

The verdict

OK the beast is pulled down and here's the rundown.
Clutch side oil seal, although new, Rolf brand that came in a seal kit, and installed correctly, not caught on the crank, is the culprit.
Of course I wish it was that easy, just replace the seal and good to go....nooo.
When I drained the gear oil, it had the smell of fuel and given it had only been idling for a total of probably fifteen minutes was a murky colour, some of it would have came from the blue coloured grease, also there was a lot more tiny flecks of steel in it than I'd expect but it is the first time the parts had been run together.
As for the crank area, there were some small flecks of alloy or steel also, I'm guessing from the crank shaving the repaired rotary pad and I'd hazard a guess that some of the flecks in the oil in the gearbox had been sucked in as well, either way the brand new piston is scuffed, the scuffing goes a full half around the piston diametre on the exhaust or downward side of the cylinder, the cylinder itself fared much better , because it's cast iron I'm assuming, the rings are ok, they show some signs of the scuffing but no damage thankfully.
Where to from here? well I have a new crank on the way, piece of mind really. I have a new seal and I will be giving everything a really good cleat, I'll give the rotary pad another dusting with some wet and dry, I will do the same to the piston as well, put it all back together with care and love, fingers crossed...again.



No comments:

Post a Comment