Monday, March 7, 2011

bodging my own bodge.



I head into town early to see if I can find some replacement nuts, I find some at an auto store 7mm, I also pick up some decent washers, I head home to go about getting everything back together, this is where the comedy of errors begins, I put the washers and nuts on and nip them up a bit at a time like I did before, by hand and then I employ the torque wrench. and I then proceed to thread three of the four nuts, great.
I really want to go for a ride so I salvage the best of the original nuts and the remaining 2 new ones, it was a pack of five, and turn the long hexagonal spacer nut around and I do them all up by hand as tight as I possibly could and I did a compression test, three kicks to 120psi, thats what it was before, I give the nuts one more nip to be sure and decide to leave thaem, I will source some good quality high tensile or stainless nuts during the week. I change the jet out for a 105, everyone I talk to says I will need to upjet 1-2 sizes with the new tuned exhaust. I get ready to kick it over so I go to roll it outside, and thud. mmm that's not normal, I thought it might have been in gear but no, I get off and see this, pic three, the stand is fouling on the new exhaust....grrrrrr. So I lay the old girl down on the non-engine side, first mistake, Take the stand off and cut it back with the grinder so it clears and put it back on, sounds easy but it took me about an hour to get it right, there were miss-matched nuts and all sorts of washers and brackets and packers it was a mess, I will be starting a middle of winter fix up list and replacing all these things are now on it,  I need to find a way to fit the rubber back on as it makes quite a bang wher I let the stand fly up, however all back together away I go and kick it over. Sounds awesome, I gear up and head off, I noticed the difference straight away, the increase in power through the gears and I get the little dear up to 90 no worries now, I can accellerate up hills that prior I bog down to sixty, now excellerate to over 70, fantastic, I can't keep the smile off my face, until bang crack crack crack, shit I clutch in and pull over, my concern was short lived, the exhaust had come off where it attaches to the cylinder, so I lay the scoot down on the grass beside the road and put it back on, this time making sure it was tight. end of drama. I enjoy the rest of my ride until I pull in to fuel up and I see this, pic one, and now that I think about it I do remember feeling the slightest play in the wheel, I was hoping that it was just a bit of a leak from laying it down while I fixed the stand and then the exhaust before. So I go home and pull the rear wheel off nad clean it all up, there was some play in the wheel but I made sure when I put it back on I gave it all I had to tighten it up the best I could, split pin in and a quick look over all the areas I have had issues, all looks ok. I put Gloria back on her stand and notice a nice little pool of fuel on the garage floor, not sure as to where it has come from I give her a kick or five andreach the conclusion I've definitely flooded her this time. so I push her up the end of the court and push start her heading down, ride a quick lap or two to burn off and excess and pull in for the night. Pic three is my dog helping me.
So I got a good 60kms in today and the speedo reads over 2130, I reckon in the week without the speedo working I did around 180kms that the clock will never show. I'm really happy with the exhaust and upjet performance change. can't wait to ride her again.

4 comments:

  1. Major drama. You have a dog glued to your Vespa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i'm following your blog from portugal like some friends of my. i like it a lot.
    you can see what i'm doing with a 68'sprint on my blog: www.vermelhossangue.blogspot.com
    i also changed my exhaust...
    greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barretto, I will certainly check out your blog, I'm glad you like my story, Portugal has been the country that has viewed my blog the most so to you and your friends I say welcome and feel free to comment if you think I'm doing something wrong, or right too.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks matte!
    we still follow your odissey!
    the SV will be allright!

    ReplyDelete