Friday, March 4, 2011

Blood, sweat and tears, or beers?

My box of goodies arrived yesterday So last night I hit the spanners....and beer.
It wasn't long before I was thinking here we go again...
Is it me or did someone decide to just fabricate nuts that you can't get anywhere out of shitty steel so that when, not if, they thread themselves you have to wait two weeks for the replacements....end rant
My new speedo cable went on a treat, My new chrome headlight surround was totally different and subsequently the glass was about 5mm too small in diametre, so back on with the old one until I get a new headlight glass...I took the old exhaust off and since I was there I thought I'd pull the head and see if the soft seize had done any damage, good news is that it was smooth and clean so thats great, I cleaned up the piston even though it was pretty clean anyway and this is where it went to poo, I ran the head over some fine sandpaper on some nice flat glass to ensure it was clean and flat. I put it on and nipped them up in a criss cross pattern as I've read to do, and I get out my brand new, used once torque wrench and it won't engage the doing up ratchet only the undoing??So my night ended there. Not impressed
Today I go and get a grinder and a new torque wrench, I will be returning the buggered one when I have more time, I grind off the extra bracket on the exhaust that I dont need and fit it, I then consult my conflicting advice as to torquing it up, my Vietnamese friends tell me its 73-78 but not weather its Nmetres or kg or pounds, my service manual doesnt have a setting at all? the nut was very easy to get off so I'm wondering if I need to torque it at all. I leave it for now and consult a wiser man than me. I had grease everywhere, dirt and engine crud all over me and I'd cut my finger so there were blood spots on the floor and on numerous bits of screwed up paper towel,  a few beers and live music across the road from the pub clear as a bell. Gotta love friday night tinkering.






Thats not the best bit, I go to torque up the cylinder head nuts and once again my vietnamese friends tell me its 12.7-17.6 whatevers and the manual says 1.5-1.8 kgM so since my torque wrench is in pounds I assume the 17 will be good, I proceed to nip them up and they all bite down but 1, it decides to thread itself, grrrrrr, so I undo them all and wrestle with this nut for half an hour to get it off, then go searching through my bits to see if I have some nuts thats similar, of course I don't, refer rant, So I have to wait until tomorrow as my wife had to go to work and I ran out of time....I decide to pull the head off again and it wont budge I wiggle a screwdrive in between the head and the fins and try to gently persuade it, nope, a little tap with a soft hammer, no, I damage some of the fins and still no joy, My thoughts are either I have created a fine edge or lip on the head when I ran it over the sandpaper or the washers have compressed from where I torqued the nuts and have spread onto the studs acting as a stopper, what to do?? I opted to go inside and try not to stew on it until my wife gets home from work tonight, I can't do anything with out new nuts anyway.
Pic. one Headlight rims new and old, I need a new headlight that will fit into the new one.
Pic two, three and four Feeding the new speedo cable outer through, I read on Modern Vespa that this was one way to do it, you take the old inner out, feed through some whipper snipper cable with plenty of length, pull the old outer out, feed the new outer onto the cable and I found once you get almost through the hole in the fork it pays to tape up the cable to the outer so when you are on your back trying to wiggle the outer out of the hole you can pull on the cable to help it through, connect it all up and your good to go. pic four is the "new" speedo cable and connections.
Pic five, old and new exhausts, you can see the bracket that I had to cut off.
Pic six, seven and eight The head, the damage I did trying to get the head off after I threaded the nut. and the cylinder I was pleased to see three ports in there, I was wondering if I actually had a Veloce engine, I might or might not but it does have three ports, that will do me.

No comments:

Post a Comment