Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Piece by piece II










So another evening of oily hands and pulling stuff apart.
I didn't really find anything that looked really bad, the surface rust and ground rivets on the large drive pinion being the most obvious, the mainshaft where the gear pinions sit has seen better days but is still OK, my issue with it is the end where the pin goes through the castellated nut has been subjected to many a belting over the years and is still usable, but I think I'll put a new one in. The cruciform is in good condition, as are the gears and the selector spindle is a newer one piece one, not a three part one with a locking washer. I did find part of a brass shim in the case and there was a section inside one of the case cavities that was caked with grit, The wheel bearing is in good condition, but the seal was hard and will need to be replaced, looking through the Haynes manual, the photos show a castellated bearing retainer and a wire clip, I just had a circlip and the seal pictured above? WTF! there's a photo of it in the last post still in position.
The layshaft is OK, its a little worn where the kickstart gear engages, the needle bearings are in good condition as well. It all came apart fairly easily with some help from a rubber mallet of course, I couldn't get the main bearing out as my circlip pliers weren't big enough, trip to the hardware store today will fix that.
That's about as far as I went, last night, it was Valentines day after all, better spend some time with the trouble and strife.

2 comments:

  1. Pic 4, should be a score in the crank like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valetines Day I spent the evening with the love of my life, my Vespa. :P

    ReplyDelete