Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ah ha gotcha!

Running out of things to eliminate in the hunt for what, in the end, could only be an air leak, I performed a classic troubleshooting method, the good old leak down test, I took the exhaust off and plugged the stub, piston to tdc, air filter off and pour clean petrol into the carb throat until it reached the top, wherever the leak is will soon become evident as the fuel will leak out of it, noticeable unless its the clutch side seal. It ran from under the air box, still to check the gear oil to see if its fuel free though, 

I pulled the carb and air box off and saw something I hadn't given a second thought before, the lower of the two is the one supplied with the parts for the new engine, the upper is a Vietnamese special. The 200 one has been widened to within an inch of its useable life, in this case a mm, so I believe this is the culprit. I swapped it for the other and will put it all back together today. Hopefully that's the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment