Friday, February 25, 2011

sunshine, fresh air & an open road....bliss


So far I have rode every day this week and clocked up about 160kms, but without the speedo working, it's just an educated guess, I pretty much know the distances around town and I have ridden the routes many times. Through the latter part of the week a lot of motorbikes have been passing through town on thier way to Phillip Island for a racing event, its funny how they all stop in large groups, big burly mens men in leathers and all sit around in the cafes resting thier tired butts, comparing facial hair, who has the fattest tyres and the longest penis extension all whist sipping soy lattes and screwing up thier noses at me doing laps past them and giving them the helmet nod, hehehe.
Today I got a good ride in before the wife went to work, it is a beautiful day, I took a couple of photos enroute, token rusty windmill and arty front shot, not bad I think.
I had a light bulb moment whist cruising along the country roads through gum tree shaded sections, passing cows and sheep, and fields of vegies with tractors and rusty sheds. I was cruising at no more than 60kms, and that allowed me to take in the scenery, It was relaxing, I had the road to myself, I have always been hell bent on trying to get the bike to go faster and faster, and probably still will, but riding the open road somehow seems so much nicer when I'm not wringing Glorias neck, listening and waiting for the engine to shit itself, worrying about the rattles and wondering if something is going to fall off....all the cars that pass me will pass me if i'm doing 60 or 85 so what's the point?
One minor incident, I mentioned earlier on in the piece that I had accidently stripped the thread on the bracket that holds the top of the dampener, well the bolt came out and hit the underside of the bike, thankfully, because I wouldn't have noticed it straight away, It took twenty minutes of looking along the highway to find it and the ride home was a bit bouncy and didn't feel too safe, so now I have to find a thin nut or soething similar to slip in between to fix it so it doesn't come out again.

3 comments:

  1. :-) Sometimes I like to nod at riders who I know won't nod back, just to mess with their heads... but sometimes a Harley rider will give me an unexpected wave!

    Nice pics. Hope you get that pesky shock sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it sorted, there was more room in there than I thought so I got a nut in there, that should be the end of it.

    ReplyDelete