Monday, July 25, 2011

Bitter sweet...bitter

A 24 hour period of mixed emotions. Firstly I needed to change the drive belt on the GT200, an easy task, I got it all off no problems and then realised Piaggio had come through with its classic odd ball size specialty nut 19mm was too big and 11/16 was a bees dick too small, great so I had a choice leave it until tomorrow get the socket and finish the job, this is what I should've done, instead I though it's simple to put back together I can ride in to work get the socket, ride home after work and finish the job. Enter the torque wrench from hell, the same one that I used on my cylinder head nuts and threaded them all, I wasn't convinced it was working so I took it back and had it replaced, now its not a top of the range job and I had used the large one to torque the flywheel cover back on, this is a small 1/4 inch drive.Now I'm not blaming the tool for the stuff up but it seems to be the common denominator, I set it to the prescribed torque and proceeded to shear off one screw and almost another, except the second one rounded the nut off making it almost impossible to undo since it was done up so tight, now this is going to suck, but that's not the kicker, In my concern for getting the screws back in properly and making sure everything was where it should be, I realise that the clutch bell is still on the floor, now its the size of a small desert bowl and crucial for the bike to run, I cant even start it with out this in place. dejected and annoyed I hit that "oh fuck here we go, how am I going to fix this" button. I go and tell the missus and thought OK I will sleep on it.
I then go back to the fuel leak on the Sprint V, I  pulled the tank and reinstalled the tap, tested it for leaks, all good, I had bought some more fuel line since the one I ordered I had measured and cut to the old one and I had a world of pain trying to get it on the fuel tap because it was too short. That installed and clamped up that too, now I found it impossible to fit the old tap with the hole through it so I though what I'll do is use the new one that wont stay in place, It can be like my anti theft device, fuel off tap handle in the pocket, at least until I can come up with a solution. seat on tank fixed down, after 10pm that's it I'll kick it in the morning.
So the wife is getting ready and getting the kids sorted in case she needs to drop me at work while I go out and move the bike into the middle of the floor. Choke out, one kick, two kicks away she goes, lights all working, well except the brake light, high beam is good, no speedo light and no horn, but the lights are working, I was pretty happy, I took her for a squirt up and down the street to check the gears and brakes, kissed the mob bye and headed into work, aaahhhhh it was good to be back, she felt good sounded great I might go the long way, mistake, I get a fair way from work and ping, gear cable snaps, as usual I had put every thing in the tool box except cables, I saw the humour in it as you need to, I god my hands all greasy getting it back into neutral and spent the next 25 minutes pushing it along the highway in peak hour traffic, I sort of expected a toot or two but I'm guessing nobody expected to see a Sprint V being pushed along the footpath at all.
A quick call to the wife to drop the cables in when she gets a chance, so gear cable replacement for lunch today. yay
Now how am I going to get this GT on the road again.

1 comment:

  1. Of...
    ..uck!

    Deep breath mate. Beer is at home calling you.

    ReplyDelete