Thursday, August 4, 2011

Regulator....the circle is complete.

My new regulator arrived today and as per everything else I have bought in that's new, the comparison is bloody obvious. The old one is a Sym reg. off god know what and the new one is a Ducati, it's much heavier and very robust. All I need to do is replace all the globes and connect it up and I should.....should be right to go, the gears need adjusting too, when I rode home last week after I thought I'd snapped a gear cable it wouldn't go into fourth, it flirted with fourth but the sound that came from the engine told me not to push my luck with it, so I putted along in third with no lights. I also broke one side of the fuel lever end off, so I am in the process of coming up with a new system that's tank installation friendly, I have just cut a groove in the old one as a temporary fix. stupid design.....






Fast forward a day and good news, the headlights are go, but nothing at the rear and the horn, well I had to disconnect it because as soon as I kicked Gloria the horn was buzzing and when she was running it was constant, I'm wondering if I need to change the switch over to the new one, let me explain to anyone that might not know, there are two types of connections for the horn to work depending on the way it is set up, one is open and when you press the horn button it completes the circuit and the horn honks, the second is a closed circuit that honks the horn when you press it by breaking the circuit. The switch I have in at the moment is the first type and because I don't fully understand the dark art of electricity, I am just assuming this is the case here, I'll change it out and see.....I took her for a squirt anyway, to make sure the gears were OK and to get the garage full of 2T fumes.
Pic 1,2,3 o;d and new and the mounting position in the tool box all straight forward
Pic 4 well there must have been some heat going through this puppy when it blew, it's normally a cylindrical shape and it's not pink
Pic 5 My eldest son was so proud of this crayon drawing he had done on his bedroom wall, with good reason too, he is quite talented at drawing, in most mediums, for someone who is nearly four, what he didn't expect was the reaction he got when he bought it to the attention of his mother........
Pic 6 The broken fuel lever and the square axle from a dis assembled plastic worm bike that I was throwing away, I intend to make this into some sort of user friendly fuel tap lever, not sure how yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment