Saturday, December 31, 2011

GPS day

Conditions were perfect for a new years run and a great chance to put the speedo to the test. 9am, 25 degrees C, slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky.
With an expertly mounted iPhone I headed out to find a long straight flat road, which didn't take that long since the area is dairy country and there are paddocks full of cows everywhere.
The results:-
Speedo reading     GPS
40kmph                   37
50                            47
60                            54
70                            64
80                            74
90                            82
100                          unobtainium*


*I tried in vain to hit 100kmph wasn't to be I got to 90 on the flat road but thought if I went to the big hill on the edge of town, which was also going to favour the wind direction, so I did and once I got to probably 95 the scooter was shaking like nothing I'd felt her do before, a quick glance at the GPS told me it was 90-91, the speedo needle was shaking, my teeth were shaking, the engine was screaming, my mirror rattled and moved so I couldn't see anything.........I could've pushed harder but to be honest I lost my nerve just trying to hang on and backed off, the result will have to wait until another day.
The business end of the ride was now out of the way, so I decided to do some exploring of my new home town, my wife had been looking at land so I went and had a look at some of the ones she thought would be suitable for us to build a new home, I also went and found a few small lakeside hideaways, the funniest thing I saw was a guy asleep on the grass outside of MacDonalds, obviously new years eve was bigger than he thought it was going to be. Eventually I headed home after another hour or so of riding around, The speedo read a couple of kms shy of 4400km.

Just outside the Colac Yacht Club, on Lake Colac,  funnily enough, in Colac.
Happy new year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment