Sunday, March 18, 2012

Idle Hands





I had the weekend to just potter, clean etc. So I took advantage of it and did some reading, luckily I did as I found out a better way to install the crank that I wouldn't have otherwise, I'll cover that in a later post when I actually do it.
The top photo is the new and old crank side by side, on the left is the old one, note bushing in the con rod small end and the nut in front of it was the nut securing the clutch onto the crank. On the right is the new crank, the special lock washer and castle nut that is supposed to secure the clutch on and just off you can see the caged needle bearing for the small end, this is what is supposed to be in the Veloce engine.
The next two shots are of the case after getting it soda blasted, it came up pretty good.
I thought I'd put the cases together to see who they mated, my heart sank when one of the studs was in the wrong spot, in the fourth photo you can see the three holes, the end one on the right is fine, the stud was in the one in the middle and should have been in the one on the left, thankfully all I had to do was use vice grips and brute force to undo it, clean out the other hole and screw it in. The funny thing id on the flat to the right of the right hand hole is a number stamp 464, the number stamped on the fly side case is down the bottom at the rear and in a different font, taller, and is 460, close but no cigar, even if the numbers matched the cases still wouldn't, but it would have been a coincidence.
In my boredom I replaced a few grommets and this one, pic. 5, was well needed, it is the plug that the pin on the right side engine cowl slots into so you can lock it in. I also replaced all the domed wheel nuts for standard stainless nuts with proper washers and spring washers that they didn't have before. piece of mind.
That seal might come today, tomorrow at the latest.

1 comment: