Thursday, March 22, 2012

stone wall

Ok this oil seal problem is going to be a little more complex to rectify than I thought. I got in another flyside oil seal and it was the same as the one I ruined. a bit of tooing and froing, surfing the web, asking a few local experts, measuring and just thinking about it has lead me to ordering in a special seal from a performance motor bike shop in Brisbane. The Maz crank is for a P/PX which is fine since half of my case is suspected to be anyway, the trouble is that the Veloce flywheel side case half will accommodate the oil seal for a Veloce, 20 40 6 , but the actual seal is a couple of mm too small for the collar on the crank. The PX oil seal 24 35 6 fits the collar but is 5mm too small to fit into the steel seal holder.
My options are to use the old case half, don't really want to as I'd have to take the new bearing off and throw on a bush for the main caged needle bearing, use a different crank, straight out no, or get in a seal to fit, a quick google had me ordering an 24 40 7 oil seal it should work OK, I'll just need to round out the internal hole on the steel holder a mm or so to suit.
The positive side is I put the cases together last night as a dry run and everything sits well the crank turns smooth and feels solid. I have rebuilt the clutch so I might get that in place over the weekend, I can put the stand back on and that's about it.
Some things are sent to test us.

1 comment:

  1. Could you imagine owning a Meccano set, I mean, a Lambretta?

    ReplyDelete