Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Back to business

So it got the better of me, staring at me on the bench begging me to pull it apart, sorry Anthony, So I did just that. I didn't find anything untoward, just coated in old tacky oil, the rotary pad is good, the bearings cleaned up OK, the gears were fine, the shaft where the gears sit needs a clean up, I knew that there was a spring and bearings holding the shift dog on, came off OK, not sure how I'm going to get them back in though. The bottom photo is of the needle bearings from the front end, it was chockers with grease so I soaked it in fuel for two days and this is what I found in there, the housings are proving to be a bitch to get out too, bit more penetrate and patience required here. I spent the rest of the weekend, in the spare time I had, cleaning all the components, I'll replace all the hardware as some of it is rusted up and different sizes. I have found another small hairline crack on the case, that's three repairs required. The clutch corks were all but worn down to nothing and were black, the steels are OK and just need a clean up. The tank is fine too, the handles a little tight but I'll sort that when the rubber bits arrive.
So other than a bit of tinkering and cleaning I'm back to waiting for parts to arrive for both engines, I'm going to start nutting out the wiring and try to get that loom made up, the body, seat, headset and painted parts will be taken off to be cleaned up and painted. I'll get onto tyres and other bits as I think of them.







No comments:

Post a Comment