Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pivot pin bearings.



First up I'm not sure its the right name but those who know will know which one I mean.
Another classic "before and after" job. when I pulled it out originally it didn't have the needle bearings, there is also supposed to be a spacer of some kind in there. I have also noted that the new grease nipple will foul with the shaft as it is a lot longer in the thread than the one that came out, so I just need to source another one, shouldn't be a drama. As for the spacer, well I will come up with something that will fit.
The second pic is the two "end plugs" The bigger ones are worn solid brass, some dings, mostly from me trying to get them out with a punch, they are still use able so they will go into the box of replaced bits, which is getting fuller each time I do some work on the old girl. They are a much tighter fit compared to the new ones, which have a bit of plat, a mm or two and they also have an o ring inside them to act as a grease seal, the old ones had nothing and the grease would squeeze out if it was full. Because of the plat I'm going to try an o ring between the opening and the end plug, once it is compressed it should keep the good stuff in and the bad stuff out.
Bottom pic is what I think the garage floor of anyone who owns one of these fine machines probably looks like, stained with a subtle hint of 2T and grease.
I'm waiting on my wiring loom and a new petcock and then it's back into it. I have gotta get out on the road. Hopefully have these goodies by the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. That pivot pin and associated plugs etc.... where'd you get it mate? I reckon mine could do with replacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes referred to as Bearing Suspension Arm.

    ReplyDelete