Sunday, June 12, 2011

Progress made

It has been a productive day, hit the weld with a dremel and cleaned it up as best as I could, got to it with some with acid again and painted it with some super duper rust transforming primer, I didn't want to grind too much away and there was a tiny lip in a few spots that I wanted to make sure no rust could form.
While I waited for this to dry I was checking out the cable ends of the "new" outers, bugger it I'll replace them too, so the gear cables and the clutch cable inner and outers were replaced more on that later, with that came the gear handle out and cleaned up, talk about caked in gritty grease, it was the same as the other side but the cavity between the bar where it goes into the handle bar was chock a block with it, and the cable wasn't routed through both holes in the bar only the last one?? and the outer was all bent and had a decent cut in it half way down?
So at dinner, my wife asks how it's going, I go through what I have been doing and she says "so it's pretty much a re-build then?" "Suppose it is" was my reply and I begin to list the things I have replaced.
The rims, tyres, tubes, brake shoes, wiring (when it arrives) and all switches, petcock and fuel tap, cylinder cowl, headlight bezel and headlight, tail light, all cables except the throttle and choke, fuel line, exhaust, jets, front dampener and suspension arm pin and bearings, brake and clutch levers and all the nuts bolts and screws, grease nipples, washers and spacers that I come across.
While the engine is running well I'm not touching it.
To Ev, I am patient but always have a hammer handy just in case, thankfully I haven't needed it yet. "Keep the Faith" Love that and yes I will.
After swearing and adjusting, re-doing and head scratching I got the cables in, the clutch cable gave me the most grief, it wouldn't engage the clutch, even after pulling it tight, turned out to be that I had actually pulled the outer through the hole in the handle when it was supposed to be left behind the hole and just the cable come through. I also applied a coat of cold gal paint to the area I had done the grinding.
Not much else to do now other than wait, but I'm sure I'll find something.






Pic one and two are the cleaned up area, still looks rough but there is nowhere for the rust to hide now.
Pic three. the clutch cable, what a mess.
Pic four. the gear selector complete with grease and crap.
Pic five. the crappy grease that came out, the rear brake securing bolt and some of the bits of the patch that I could get off by willing it back and forth with pliers.
Pic six is the welded area all painted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment