Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The waiting game.



I have just been treading water, waiting waiting for the wiring loom that is on back order, doing what I can when I find stuff to get it right, nothing to report, I did get hold of a set of dust covers for the underside of the handlebar, keeps crap out, but since they are like rocking horse shit, and not having them is the norm, doesn't seem to matter in the grand scheme of things and all that. They are on loan so I can make a set and draw them up to have them made, but after a bit of cutting, hitting, fashioning, bodging, call it what you will I made some good headway on one of them, and in fine Aussie tradition, this Friday, I will be chucking a sickie to finish them off while the missus is at work and the kids are at daycare. The first and second pics are of the covers, they are off a powder blue SS180, which is the midst of a restoration at the moment, a big thank you goes out to Sharon for letting me borrow them, check out her mod gear and seat covers, Cosmic Breed Mod Gear.
I have been checking out how I can incorporate the keyed barrel kill switch that is already there into the new wiring, in doing so contacted Planet Vespa to find out what colour wires do what. There are four wires off the back of the barrel. I'm glad I asked as these dont come from the manufacturer as standard colours, PV put what they have on hand in there, no surprises there.
So in Pic three, other than the very poorly done soldering job, there are four wires, Black-top left, did go to the negative side of the battery, Green-top right, obscured by brown wire, this goes to the junction box and when the key is in the off position, this breaks the circuit to the spark plug so it wont spark. Red and Brown are power to the horn switch, in this case brown is power into the barrel from the junction box, red out to switch, obviously when the key is off this circuit is broken. So I should be able to nut this out with the new loom prior to putting it in, and redo that crappy soldering job too.

No comments:

Post a Comment