Saturday, August 20, 2011

Niggles

I have probably put 100 or so kms on her since I got the lights sorted and to be honest I couldn't be happier with the way she's running, there are a few niggles, itches that need to be scratched and the list grows. First and foremost is the bloody brake light switch, I have pulled it off at least a dozen times and tried everything, I've made gaskets, sprayed WD40 in there to lube it up, tried 5 different ways to get the connection to work, positioned the connections and wiring differently and the annoying thing is the switch works when I have it in my hand, but when I fit it nothing, zip, zero, zilch, nada, fuck all.....you get the point, I have promised myself and told the switch in no uncertain terms, that if it continues to misbehave, it will join the growing collection of "used museum worthy parts" I have in a box that I plan to to make some sort of art house piece from to acknowledge the Sprint Vs Vietnamese tour of duty....that and not having a brake light is just bloody dangerous. The front brake still needs a look at, its really spongy and I am certain the outer cable just needs to be seated, I'm just a little bit tinkered out at the moment, but....again not having a front brake is just bloody dangerous. There are a few other small things I have noticed after replacing everything except the engine, one, the engine at almost top speed, probably any speed over 50kmph, there is a buzzing sound, not a loud buzzing sound, but it wasn't there before, it's like, and anyone who has had a BMX, I'm pretty sure Fanta has, and used a peg on your fork to hold some footy cards so that they hit the spokes, making a loud sort of motorbike engine noise, well it did when you were ten, but cardboard was better back then..... anyway, the buzzing sound is there and I have no idea why.
Secondly, the front end just doesn't feel right, nothing to do with the front brake, but I'm not really sure how to explain it, its solid but feels a little sloppy, the only thing I have replaced is the pivot arm bearing, well not replace because it wasn't there to start with,  so maybe it's normal..nothing else done except I use proper grease and not the gritty paste I have found in most parts.
That's the latest, I plan on giving her a good run tomorrow, nice spring like weather, cool and sunny, a good long run will be the scratch for the itch that I have to get out there and ride.

Edit. the final play with the brake switch worked a treat and I'm running with a full set of lights, The front brake also just needed a good hard pull and the extra length was enough to give me some stopping power in an emergency, so I'm good there too now. I fixed up the last sentence of the original post so it makes sense now and acts as a reminder not to blog after a few beers...
Fanta, yep at wide open throttle, will try a bigger jet and see, it didn't do it before I started messing with the wiring which is wierd. and I'm sure that is the plug I'm running too.

2 comments:

  1. Yep I had bmxs but found that a cut up plastic ice cream container lid was far more durable than footy cards.
    That buzzing sound, is it with throttle completely 'foot to the floor' (the kids call is WOT now, wide open throttle) or just ever so slightly backed off? If WOT then maybe upjet one more and repeat. Don't want a nasty sieze when the weather warms up. I'm running a nice cool B8ES plug too. Just in case.
    Oh and that switch if it works in your hand and not when screwed in place - my guess would be that it's not positioned quite so that as soon as the pedal is moved it allows the spring lug out and the circuit to complete. That is, even with pedal right down it may still be keeping the circuit open. But you're right, they are fiddly farkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... could be just resonant frequency too. Rattly bits that may be responsible if not tightened: gear selector cover (good reason to chuck it away!), flywheel cover, engine side cowl, centre stand... etc

    50kph isn't fast so I don't think it'd be the overheating-siezing thing. (this kept me awake last night you can tell). Is the sound definitely emanating from the engine? Ride backwards at 50kph and stick your head down over the engine to have a good listen.

    ReplyDelete