Monday, April 9, 2012

Getting there

The Easter long weekend brought a few things to light and to get the engine running right I reset the timing, it was out a fair bit, probably on 13 or 14 degrees BTDC, It should be on 19. Compression was good at 120psi. I was fouling plugs and the timing may have been causing this but I'm not sure, I did notice when I re-set the carb that when I wound out the idle screw the slide wasn't closing, I had attached the throttle cable nipple where I had it before, and what I think was happening was the throttle might have been slightly cracked at idle and this was what was causing the plug to foul. There was a lot more smoke than normal, and it was noticeably bluer than it had ever blown before the rebuild, but thinking about it, it was in the workshop and it is burning the mineral oil, probably normal really.
Due to family visiting for Easter and the crappy weather I didn't go any further than around the the property, the clutch feels nice and smooth but I won't pass judgement until I get out on the road.
I also managed to half drop the scooter onto a rusty old piece of machinery while fiddling with the stand and scratched the rear of the engine side cowl and bent the number plate as well, also while fueling up I took the last bit of usable life out of the thread on the screw down handle for the fuel cap, so that will need to be replaced before I take to the open road....
I have photos but have left the cord at home. I'll post them tomorrow.
And here they are.
Pic one and two. First up I noticed a fairly big leak onto the case below the cylinder at the exhaust, when I pulled off the exhaust I found the cause, the split in the sleeve to allow the fasteners to squeeze it tight had an opening, I had never noticed this before as it didn't leak like this before, I cut the weld that fixed the collar and slid it down the 3mm it need to and did my best with some thinly cut gasket paper to minimise the crap coming out and the air getting back in.





Third, is the scratch, bit annoyed about it but I'll touch it up anyway.
Fourth. my new timing marks, you can see what might be the previous owners marks or just dents, there were other marks on the case near the stator as well.
Last is the fuel cap securing bolt, worn to less than an inch of it's usefulness, I took it to my trusty industrial supplies shop to no avail, so as a temporary fix until I get enough stuff on a list to place an order, I am having a crack at making one from a small bolt, looks like it might even work if I can get the hole drilled in the right spot.

1 comment:

  1. well, I am impressed. And you haven't even asked me for my help in all of this mess. I am glad that you jumped into all of this, it is really rewarding in the end. You are almost there. Send me a note to catch up.

    ReplyDelete