Monday, April 16, 2012

The joy.

I rolled her out and gave her a kick or two and she jumped into life, the engine did have a better sound to it just idling away, I threw all the tools, cables and oil in, helmet on and I pulled the clutch in and got the sound you can hear in the short video, off I get and try to pin point it with no success, I took the gear selector cover off and it seemed to lose a little volume but was still pretty loud. I thought Id take it for a short run up the road and back anyway to see what happened.
Once out on the open road I took it up to 70kmph, through all the gears, the sound didn't change much at all. The gears themselves changed sharp and true with the new selector, a little stiffer but they felt good, despite the rattle noise, the clutch felt great, nice and firm but smooth and I also noticed the difference in how the bike felt on the road, I wouldn't have thought that the new mounts would make a difference but compared to the old ones I felt like I was floating along, it was great being out on the road again, I went back after about ten minutes and probably 3kms and that's when I took the video, the rattle was a little softer. Nervously I decided to just go out and ride and I'm glad I did.
I rode around the town for another 40 minutes, amounting to approx. 30kms in total, through the gears, through as many different rev ranges as possible, only took it to about 1/3 throttle, up some hills, I even stopped and let it idle, which is where I was having problems before, stopping the engine and kicking it again was also something that I couldn't do, this time around it wasn't a problem, the pull through the gears was very noticeable and the big thing was that after a while the clutch rattle got quieter too.
Some thinking and consulting with a few experienced friends, I believe that although I soaked the clutch plates, they were installed and sat idle for a few weeks, I also recall there being some sort of stick residue on the steel plates too, I tried a few things to get it off to no avail, these things combined may be causing the clutch to be a little sticky and after some riding with some oil flying around inside the gearbox eventually making its way into the plates and stopping the noise. It's a theory.
Now it's running, it's moved out to the other shed to keep the GT company and the workshop is quite lonely, luckily I have my new, well 1974 new, set of Sprint V cases as a project/spare engine to get moving on, first job is to remove the rusted exhaust bolt that has snapped off out, then off to the soda blaster for a clean up. joy joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment