Sunday, April 22, 2012

So far so good.


Firstly here's the photo of the fuel cap screw that I butchered up out of a hex head bolt, the standard rubber handle screws nicely onto it, I have a couple of washers and a nut if I get into trouble with it.

Well the weekend bought much happiness and confidence is growing in my engine work. I had an hour or so spare both days and the autumn weather was perfect for a ride, over the two days I managed 100 kms, bringing the kms on the new cylinder up to just under 300kms, all the rattles are gone, except the ones that were there before the engine was dropped, I only pushed it to 80kmph max. but could feel that it had plenty left, the power at gear changes is surprising and I've found myself startled at times and have reminded myself to hang on a bit better. This morning I rode to the end of the driveway and when I got a break in traffic let out the clutch a little quick and I lifted the front wheel a few inches, never done that before.
There were no incidents apart from a few dodgy gear changes and coming around a corner and working up through the gears and it missed between 2nd and 3rd and the revs went through the roof, I pulled the clutch in to let it settle and out of the corner of my eye I saw something bouncing down the road alongside of me, this cant be good I though and pulled up, couldn't find anything amiss, until I took the engine side cowl off to see the little rubber grommet that fits into the flywheel was gone, I was relieved but wondered if it had of got jammed, just how much damage it might have done, I walked up the road and back looking for it and an old farmer pulls up in his ute.
"You right Mate, Broken down?"
"no" and I went on to explain what had happened
"She's a beauty, good luck" and off he drove.
I found it and put it back and off I went.
When I got home I have been in the habit of topping up the fuel just so I'm good to go and I did this when I got home Friday also, I was surprised at how much fuel I had used in only 100 kms or so, I put three litres in and ran out, it looked like it might take another litre to bring it back to roughly where it was, in saying that 25kms per litre is probably OK really, just surprised me.
I have two things in mind for the next ride, one is to try and do an accurate fuel consumption calculation, well as accurate as possible and a mini project of mounting my camera and filming some of the scenery about town with the subtle buzz of the engine in the background. should be fun.
Now the workshop is empty I'm looking for something to do.

2 comments:

  1. Pure happiness...yeah.
    Good for you for knocking out the kinks on it.
    My advice for adjusting your gear changing style is to rev hard in the low end of each gear and when it reaches time to shift, throttle back a bit until the revs hang steady, then clutch/shift/unclutch with no throttle, then lay back on the gas again. Done quickly, you really do not lose speed, and it keeps your wheel down.
    What's the next project, a snowmobile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Porter, thats pretty much how I go, it was from take off, had my gloves on and just let it out a bit quicker than normal, I adjusted the cable a teeny bit and it's all sorted.
      Next project, no idea, not much use for a snowmobile where I live, The Father in law has half a dozen mowers and an old outboard that could use some love.

      Delete