Sunday, April 29, 2012

Positives and Negatives

Another decent weekend of riding, 123 kms and a good chance to check the fuel consumption, I used 4.5 litres over the two days and an outcome of 27.2 km per litre seems ok to me. Still never really opened her up further than 80 on the clock, and about half throttle, riding was mostly around town with some open road stuff as well, a couple of hills. The power comparison to before the kit still surprises me, this brings the new kit kms up to approx. 445 and just shy of 4850kms in total.
I had noticed a rattle, or more of a vibration, and it was getting worse, I decided to go down to the lake to stretch my legs, check the tank and the time and I went to pull her up onto the stand and it was all over the place, I got down to see that on the left hand side the nuts holding the stand bracket on had vibrated loose and fallen off, the bracket was wedged in there behind the stand but as I was reaching the high end of the rev range on each gear she was screaming at me, I pulled the bracket and the bolts out and rode up to the local hardware, replaced the nuts and spring washers in the carpark, I needed the guy from the shop to hold the scooter for me to get the bolts in place and I was good to go, no more noise, it was nice.
Once home I topped up the fuel, checked the plug, it looked fine, and decided to do a quick nut and bolt check, I'm glad I did. All the hub and rim nuts were tight, but the back wheel had some play in it, I tried to get the pin out but the nut had turned enough that I had to break the pin off and tighten the nut slightly to get it out. Sheeesh......
I did the nut up with the strength of five men, well as tight as I could possibly do it, put the biggest split pin that I could fit in there, the one I had was taken out was only slightly smaller and will now do a check on it every time I get on it

1 comment: