Saturday, January 1, 2011

Loose Rear Wheel Nut...WTF


So I'm riding around town today and the rear brakes just dont feel right, they are working but not well, the brake pedal goes to the floor if I downshift and they stop working, So I turn and head for home. the whole rear of the bike feels wobbly and shifts as I go through the gears and brake, luckily I am not far away, I begin to hear a shh shh sound that gets progressively worse as I get home it is quite loud. I feel the back wheel and it has at least 25mm or an inch play, I pop the wheel nut cover and this is what I see.....the nut can be turned by hand and although there is a split pin there it doesn't go through the castle nut and never has, it can't if the nut is tightened....... So I pull the pin out and take the wheel off, since the wheel is off I thought I'd check the brakes.....See next post for that one.
Top Pic. the bodged split pin, I put in a packing washer and a new split pin so this won't happen again.
Bottom Pic. Job in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment