Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rear brake shoes dodgey? Yep I reckon.





Top Pic. The inside of the rear hub, I cleaned it up and gave it a rub with some fine sandpaper. The surface was worn but it looked to be evenly.
Second and Third pic. The brake shoes that came off, they looked to me to be home made pads or at best pretty old, they had plenty of meat though, I thought it was possible that they might have been asbestos being a woody colour not dark grey like new ones are?? I have no idea but I was cautious with them just in case. I put new ones on for piece of mind.
Forth Pic. newby shoes.
Fifth Pic. old shoes and bits when I pulled them off.
I cleaned the whole lot up and put it all back together, She wouldn't start because I originally layed her down on her side to pull the wheel off, but the fuel tank was leaking out of the cap so I stood her back up, I'm guessing the carb got what fuel was left in the fuel line and after four or five kicks I flooded the engine. I live in a small cul de sac and it is on a small  hill, so I roll started her and all was good, I had to adjust the brake cable once and the brakes are good again, the wheel doesn't wobble so i'm good to go.
I checked the front wheel nut and it is secured properly, so I left it for now, after family holidays next week I plan to go over the front end, the shock and brakes etc. to make sure everything is OK. I have contacted two local (Aussie) parts and workshops regarding the main jet, but being the week of Christmas and New Year neither are open, I expect to be in contact with them this week. Vespa2 in Cairns help out people with imported bikes that have problems, they restore scoots that I believe the frames are imported from India and Italy they and also sell new engines that they build themselves and supply any parts required to get you on the road again. I will have a bit of a chat with them and see what they can do to help.
I have clocked just on 1800kms, I still really enjoy the bike, the attention it gets when I putt through town, we get a lots of bikes through town most of the time, more so when Phillip Island GP is on, so the resting bike riders at the roadside cafes all look, and probably laugh, at me as I putt by, but they are the ones sucking down the 2T with their lattes while trying to look hard and mean, he he he. I still get the odd person stop and tell me a story from their youth, riding too far with too many friends on an inappropriate scooter and loving every minute of it. I love when that happens.
My 3 month warranty expires on the 19th of January, I have been trying to ride as many kms as I can, weather and family harmony permitting, and I should be able to squeeze another 100 maybe 200 in before I go away and the warranty runs out the day I get back, I'm guessing that, as in most cases, the problems that will require major bits will happen not long after, hopefully not but who knows. I am going over the bike daily to keep an eye on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment