Sunday, January 23, 2011

Front Brakes



Wheel off and no surprises really, Brake shoes look buggered but as mentioned, had to go back on. The nut holding the front wheel on had to be removed with an impact wrench, I tried in vain with the missus holding the brake in, the woodruff key was ok.
I wandered over to one of the neighbours to run the shoes past someone else, Now he works in a timber mill and has done for 20 years, I must say I was a little concerned that the shoes were asbestos, but to my curious horror He ran his nose over them, scratched them with his finger nails and smelt them, and even bit them???? bit them, ran the bitten stuff through his fingers and smelt them again, tasting it like it was truffle oil. "yeah I reckon it has asbestos in it" fu#k me, that shit will kill you, might take a while, but ?, anyway I eventually put them back on.
The inside of the drum was in ok condition, no different to to the rear one. The axle looks worse for wear and even trying to get the nut back on, I couldn't get the split pin hole to line up, tried wrenching it by hand and given I needed a pretty good crack on the impact wrench to get it off, I reckon that it was stuck on and doubtful.has been for a while, call it "reconditioned" but I'm doubtful.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy neighbour!!! Good luck with fixing up that front end. :-)

    ReplyDelete