Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Front Brakes take 2 & the elusive jet


After a handful of emails to a good bloke in a scooter workshop in Queensland, Kickstart Scooters, I managed to fit the new brake shoes that I couldn't get the hub over. He suggested filing back the actual pad a little on the leading edges front and back to put a bit of an angle on them, I did this, masked up of course, and they still wouldn't clear the hub, this got me thinking, I need to reduce the whole diameter a little, I sat the old and new pads on the bench next to each other and there was at least 2-3mm difference in hieght, so I filed away a couple of mm from the non pivot end where the little shoe sits...BINGO. The hub slid straight on and after an adjustment to the cable, it was job done. I am yet to mount the small vice I got from my Pa's shed, but I just clamped it down with some sliding g-clamps I have, I would've done it but couldn't find any nuts for the bolts I had...It did the job.
I have a new dampener on its way soon, I have a 20/17 carb too when I thought I had a 20/20, which is what Planet Vespa had me believe, I didn't really know what all the marking numbers meant until Kelvin pointed it out, Cheers, but he was going to see if he had a jet between 92, which is what I have now, and a 102, which was standard for a Sprint V, I have made a few calls around and sent a few emails, with not much luck finding this jet. I can get one from overseas, but the postage will be a killer, especially when I dont really need any other parts or bits and bobs, the bike is running well so its not urgent just something I want to do, I did hit 90kmph on monday, but it was the classic down hill, tailwind scenario. I backed off in nervous excitement, tackled the hill to my street and almost got cleaned up turning into my street, as I dont have indicators, I pull over and execute a hook turn when I can, it's safer, but because I was trying to take off in second, I thought I was in first, and zip in between the cars....a subtle reminder to adjust the gear cables.
To all my Aussie friends, have a great Australia Day, a celebration to life in the lucky country.

No comments:

Post a Comment