Friday, February 4, 2011

axle out, mystery bit





This morning I got the axle out by screwing the nut back on to protect the thread and hitting it with a hammer and a piece of wood, it took five or six hits and it came out easily.
The bearings were actually reasonably new and looked to be in good condition, I left them in, I could see something inside though, it was a washer of some sort, i got it out easily enough but dont have a clue what it is, so I'll be doing some research later.
As for the shaft, its a little worn on the brake end where it sits in the bearing, strangely enough there are a lot of letter "H" stamped into the shaft all around where the worn part is, I'm guessing that the bodgers do it because its a little loose and stamping it will raise the surface a bit to seat in the bearing a bit better, the drive gear end was clean and not damaged, the thread on the tyre end has seen better days and the hole for the split pin has too.
I cleaned it all out as best as I could and left it at that. I need some parts before I can put it back together.
The bottom pic is the home made rubbers and shaft pieces from the dampener the other pics speak for themselves. Now I play the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment