Friday, February 4, 2011

snowballing effect

What started out as a simple exploratory examination of the wiring, turned into pulling the whole front end apart.
I couldn't make head nor tail of the wiring, it didn't match any of the wiring diagrams I could find, not so much the colours but the switch too, I used one of those continuity meters and only got minimal joy,  I took the horn out to find that the screws holding it in were all over the place, two of them had little washer type nuts holding then in, I couldn't for the life of me get them back in, I would need to take off the front gurad to get then in, so I just have two screws holding in place now, the inside behind the horn was all covered in surface rust mixed with dirt and paint but looked to be ok, just in need of a good clean. So after some head scratching and a beer I thought I'd replace the little bulb in the speedo, this is where it all began. I undid the screw and prised it out, only to discover that the end of the outer cable was held to the speedo by an elastic band, I then wanted to see that the cable was still in position, it wasn't, I turned the front wheel and the cable didnt turn, mmmm, so I undid it at the wheel and pulled it out and it was stuffed too, my doing this time, it was all frayed and the grease in there felt a bit gritty, I thought I'd pull the dampener out since I had a new one on the way, so wheel off, dampener off, bugger it that axle should probably feel a bit smoother, might check that out too, dust cover off and with a bit of improvising and an impact wrench got the outer and inner nuts off and thats where I hit a wall, I'm not sure how to get the rest apart, so this ended my evening, I need to find out how to get this off.






I have now resigned myself to the fact I won't be riding the scoot for a little while while I sort the front end, as for the wiring, well I will replace it in the future, it still works but replacing it will be a big job, so when I have to do some major work, like dropping the engine, I'll do it then when the bike is out of action.
Pic one. The screws and the washer thingys that hold two of the screws in place
Pic two & three. the horn and the parts that have been ground out to fit the screws, the tab bolted on the back??? I think might be an earth for the wiring, can't see what else it's there for.
Pic four. the holes for the horn and the grimey layer inside behind it.
Pic five. the horn in position, it was a tight fit getting it in and out was a task.
Pic. six. the elastic band that was hilding the top of the speedo cable outer to the speedo connection, classy stuff
Pic. seven  the speedo drive gear I partially stripped and the worn connector that held it into the front end.

3 comments:

  1. That horn is not a Vespa horn, but you've probably guessed that! Proper ones aren't that expensive - ScootRS have them, and the rubber gaskets which should go between it and the horncast. http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2351

    Elastic band?????? Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HORN-VESPA-6v-NEW-/270706400136?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f075bdb88
    Found this one on Ebay, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm already onto the horn, so it will be replaced eventually, this one only just fits in the hole and there was no rubber gasket either, it works so i'm not in a rush for it but do want the have a proper Vespa one.

    ReplyDelete