Saturday, February 5, 2011

Front end part two, or is it three?







I was going to leave the rest of the front end alone, but I was thumbing through the haynes manual and got to page 78, the exploded view of the front end, a great drawing, as a draftsman I might look at it with two minds, all the pieces that need to be there and the drawing itself, probably done 40+ years ago and by hand, a good job, to draw it these days, if you did mechanical exploded views (I do structural engineering) and quite easy as such, they would be crisp, precise , but by hand, it is a credit to the draftsman, the clarity and ease in which a lay person can read and understand the basic breakdown of each part of the scooter....
Anyway.
After I made note of all the bits that were missing I decided to continue pulling all the front end apart, just to see what else was missing.
First up I went all old school and used my Pa's Hand drill to get the rivets out of the dust cover, pic one, its quite obviously not the correct one, it was hard to remove and you could see the indentations and ripples where it had been, not forced but screwed in"well", that off I used a  punch to push the main pivot shaft through, it went through easily, some resistance which is good.
I pulled out all the bits, well a couple of washers and an end plug thingy, the one on the wheel side wouldn't budge, I tried with a screwdiver and hammer and no matter how hard I hit it, it wouldn't move, I relented and stopped before I had a brass end bush that was bent,useless and stuck.
The pics speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment