Friday, February 18, 2011

Front end build




The pictures speak for themselves, old Vs new, I knew the dampener was stuffed but didn't really know how much until I got a new one to compare it with.
The first pic. is well, weird, there isn't a weld there it looks like it might have had an outer layer of maybe 50,000 layers of paint and its chipped away around the hole, I gave it a wire brush but it didn't do much, so I sealed it with some more paint and left it as it is.
The others speak for themselves.
I had a successful re-build, It took about three hours, but I also changed my main jet too a 100 that is on loan until I get a set of jets ranging from 90-112 which is on it's way. Thanks Kelvin. I adjusted the gear cables, topped up the fuel, checked the tyres and gave her a general all over inspection.
As this was the first time I have done a front end, I started with part A and realised it will be easier to install part B and C first then A, but if I put D and E there first, B will be easier and A will be impossible. so after a head scratch or two, a flick through the manual and a beer I got it all together, The three washers at the top of my spring were there because the old dampener was rooted, I dont need them now which is the way it should be. One downside was that the top dampener connection bolt actually threaded out the fixing point on the fork, well it didn't, I did, so I'm not sure what to do there, I'll keep an eye on it, maybe loctite it, see what happens.
I salvaged the speedo drive gear where I had damaged the grooves, I used a stanley knife to clean it up and put it all back together, plenty of grease etc. at the speedo end the screw connection at the end of the cable is gone, the actual cable is just in the speedo by upward pressure from slightly pulling the the cable outer up, I spun the wheel and the needle flickered a bit so it might be ok, until a new one arrives in a week or so, the cable almost fouls the front end with the dive from braking, just in the garage by pushing and braking fully, it will do for a week that is forcast rain everyday, I might not get a chance to do much riding but if getting a wet arse and riding or sitting and looking at Gloria like I have been for a few weeks and staying dry are my only options. Wet bum it is.
I have kicked her over a couple of times, which is probably not a great idea without a front wheel on, 2-3 kicks is standard from cold, but I have a habit of turning the fuel tap off a hundred or so metres before I get to where i'm going, my theory is,  I roll her out onto the drive fuel tap still off, straddle it and give it a good wobble to ensure that any oil in the fuel that may have settled is mixed back in, tap on, kick kick ting putt ting putt off I go. Turn it off and run it until it starts to sputter and kill it, there is hardly any fuel left in the hose to evaporate and leave the carb with a film of oil that is hard to ignite, as apposed to if I turn it off after I stop and dont swish it before I try and start it, some of the oil in the hose will settle if left long enough and the same for the tank and this might cause problems starting. Right or wrong I'm not sure, but it's working so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment