Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting and tinkering





While I have been waiting on a few parts, the first shipment will be here anytime now, the second due late next week at the earliest, I'm desperate to get back on the road, so I have been tnkering, cleaning, examining etc.
Pic. one. is the assorted bits from my front end, some ok, some old and worn but ok and some completely stuffed..
Pic. two and three Two shots after I drilled out the rivets that hold the rubber mat down, I just bought a rivet gun so I can put the brake drum dust cover back on, so I thought I'd take a look. The seam looks like its supposed to be there, but how it is supposed to look I dont know, a magnet check for filler didn't seem to indicate any, but because of previous comments on the welding underneath this I am being very cautious and looking for any sign of cracking after each ride.
Pic. four. I bought a new set of brake/clutch levers in case I break one if I drop the bike, the new ones look way better so I put them on, they are slightly different to the old ones, and a bit thicker where they go into the handle bar, the old ones were packed out with washers. They fit ok, a bit stiff though. I cleaned up the cable ends and headset, greased them up good.
Pic. five I had to disconnect the clutch cable to change the lever so I changed the cable anchor too, the old one was very tired and rusted.
I still have to adjust the gear cables and after my first box arrives, rebuild the front end using the old parts until the new ones and the missing ones arrive in box two and just get out there.
Can't wait

3 comments:

  1. Brett, that seam is completely normal. :-)

    But the centre mat should be fixed with the metal side strips and small screws to hold it in place, not rivets. Laziness on the restorer's part...

    I notice that the new levers have smaller sized holes for the cable end nipples - the nipple needs to move freely in the hole, otherwise the cable will bend every time you move the lever and create a weak spot which will eventually go "ping"! You can file the hole to open it out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Sharon, the cable end nipple is a nice fit in the hole on the lever, and the cable fits into the slot as it did on the old one, I think it will work as normal, but will have a look at it just in case.
    I wasn't sure about screws on the metal strip, If I ever have to relace the mat I will replace the rivets with the screws, I couldnt see a thread in the holes though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no thread in the mat holes, just use self tappers through the metal.

    I'm shocked to see what's happened with your shock!!!

    ReplyDelete