Monday, October 18, 2010

And so it begins.

The SPV landed in my driveway at 5pm yesterday, on the back of a ute in a box that had seen better days, old mate and I man handled it off the ute and I began the quite easy task of dimantling the box, I say quite easily because the box had just about fallen apart despite the 8700 nails it had holding the cracked ply and kindling together. The scoot arrived unscathed, not a mark on her, and that was all I was concerned about.
Once I got all the paper, foam and plastic off I began the initial inspection.
First up I reminded myself that it's a 40 year old bike and it's not going to be perfect.
Second I noticed that the sticky tape they had used to hold all the packing had left glue marks all over the paintwork, annoying but ok. the bike was generally dusty and there was quite a bit of dried dirt in the tyre tread, luckily quarantine missed that one.
I then began to take a closer look at the engine, I remover the RHS cowl and apart from the dust the engine looked ok, I took the flywheel and gear selector cover off and that bit that encases the cylinder head, the cylinder cooling fins had a small amount of surface rust and the head looked new, I took the spark plug out and it was obviously old and was covered in black sooty type stuff, from what I could see of the cylinder head it looked pretty clean, I replaced the spark plug after checking the spark was ok. The compression felt good too. the head cover had looked ok until further inspection, it was damaged at the back and almost worn through in one spot so that will have to be replaced in the near future.
The gears didn't feel right and the selector looked to be a bit rusty, but it turned out to be dust in the grease, it will need to be cleaned and re-greased. All the cables could probably do with a bit of adjusting, both brakes responded well, although I will look at adjusting those after I ride it and see how they go.
I drained the oil and replaced it, the oil that came out didn't look that flash so I'm glad I did. The tyres are all new but all the tubes didnt have the little dust caps, so I will be getting new tubes to be on the safe side, I'll check all the wheel nuts when I change the tubes. What I could see of the fork and front end looked new and in good condition, the speedo has 67.2 kms on it and there is a green light above the speedo that I'm not sure what its for, i'm thinking lights. the light switch box on the RHS seemed ok, the little square hole where the kill switch should be was blank, I think this is because the 12volt upgrade has an ignition/off under the front of the seat, this probably acts as the kill switch now, the horn was bloody loud though and I'll check the lights once I kick it over.
The steering lock seems to turn ok but wont push in or out because the little flap that covers the keyhole seems to be blocking it, I will look into this a bit further though. The fuel tank looked quite clean inside with only a bit of oily residue. the little cleats that hold the fuel cap have a bit of rust on them though, as does the seam near the rubber on the RHS cowl and near the locating pin as well, there is also a little bit of rust near the engine mounting bolt on the LHS too otherwise the paintwork looks ok. Thats it up to now. will throw in some fresh fuel and oil and kick her in the guts..watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment