Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Importing process in a nutshell

I never thought to explain the importing process until someone asked, so here's how it worked for me.
Planet Vespa (PV) sorted out all the paperwork at thier end to the point that the SPV was boxed up and on the ship, cost, I don't know but assumed any costs would be covered in the cost of the bike.
I had to apply for an Import approval from the department of Infrastructure, Transport blah blah... that was $50 non refundable and I had to supply the VIN and Engine numbers, photos of them and the bike, which PV supplied.
Shipping cost was $220 to Melbourne Port.
Now I used an import agent which was at an extra cost, but for me and my families convenience of not having to take a day or two off work, hire or borrow a trailer drive the 4 hours there and  4 back, bluffing my way around Melbourne, dealing with all the red tape at the dock and Customs & Quarantine inspections, I was prepared to pay the extra. You can do it your self of course.
My Bill from the Importers was $1500 and the break down was.
Port charges $280
Quarantine service fee $139 Quarantine inspection fee $145
Duty (which I believe is approx. 10% of the value of whatever you are shipping something like a GST, not sure)  $381 they show you how they work it out, but unless your into numbers or accounting its a little hard to figure out.
Customs Clearance $150
Agent, Transport, fuel levy and Handling fee $ 317
So If you did this yourself you could save $300 plus depending on the value of what it was you were importing. If something goes wrong like the paperwork is stuffed up somehow or quarantine find bugs or dirt (which my tyres had) it can go pear shaped and the storage, cleaning, disposal costs will aadd up pretty quickly.
So to have the bike dropped in my driveway and avoiding all that, I can live with the extra cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment