Thursday, October 21, 2010

Roadworthy worries.


Well the gears aside, my main concern is to have the scoot ready for a roadworthy. Tomorrow I will just tinker, scratch my head and refer to my manuals defining what is supposed to be going on, Sunday I will be heading out "testing" the bike for readiness, in accordance with the Unregistered Vehicle Permit, this will give the gears a chance to run in a bit and hopefully loosen up slightly. As far as the RWC goes well everything is there and works, I have headlights, high and low beam, a horn that is loud and true, Tail light well I checked it wednesday, the light worked but I forgot to check if the brake light worked, it was dark when I tested the gears last night, I tried both brake levers, no brake light well that needs to be sorted or I will be mown down by some ignorant peanut who's not watching where he's going. As I hadn't had a good look at the tail light as yet I also knew I needed a white light to illuminate the number plate, I put my hand under it and it was red, not white, I thought I could drill and cut out a sectiona nd put some perspex in there if I had to no drama, I pulled the taillight off and low and behold my first blown bulb, after all of 70 kms, 3 of which I have done here in Aust., I removed it and replaced it, the bulb was quite obviously old, not just blown, and a little corrosion on it gave that away, poor form again on a new wiring system, anyway the tail light did have a clear section on the underside of it but during the manufacturing process the red plastic had in fact melted across a good portion of the clear part...and a heap of scratches all over it where they had tried to "fix" it, that will need to be sorted too.
I had taken the spare to the servo to get it pumped up and would top the other two up on sunday, I'm ordering new tubes and tyres, the tyres that came on the bike are Kenda, I've been told they are a good cheap tyre but I'll feel better having a better tyre under me, especially if the roads are wet, the new tubes are a no brainer, it loos like they have thrown on whatever they had laying around that would hold air for a few weeks, the valves are obviously old and they dont have caps, the threads are a little rusty and worn. When I changed the front tyre over I notice a lot of rust in between the two hub halves and there was actaully something rolling around in side the tyre, when I get the new tyres and tubes I'll do some more investigation. So once I get these things, minor as they are I will be booking in for the roadworthy, I have a good relationship with the bike shop here and the guy I have been dealing with has worked on my GT200, doing the Mallossi variator upgrade, he knows about this bike and is quite excited about seeing it. that might help. Well bring on Sunday, fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment