Sunday, October 24, 2010

On the road.

Sunday domestic duties done, I rolled the SPV out into the spring sunshine after lunch, Kicked her over and double checked that all the lights were still working and the vintage scooter fairies hadn't undone all my hard work.
All good, so I donned my fluro yellow vest with a sign I had made up at work stating "Running in engine, please pass" in bold lettering, unceremonially stapled to the vest. I saw a similar sign in an old morris minor a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing, so when I'm putting around at 40km/hr cars will know why and give me a wide berth, not try and kill me.
I rolled out of the drive and away I went, out of the safety of the cul de sac and into the real world.
The gears were smooth and the last adjustment and grease up did the trick, so I was happy with that, On that note I did notice there was a 1982 stamped into the top of the batwing, assuming it was the year it was made, not really relevant to anything just thought i'd add it in.
I could not be happier with how it ran, the only real issue was operater learning the geras, indicating with hand signals, using a foot brake and trying to wipe the smile off my face.
I managed 102kms, didn't miss a beat, I sat on about 40kms the whole time, flirting with 50km on occasion, on mostly flat roads with some hills, It pulled well up the hills but I didn't want to push it, the throttle was smooth and responsive. The sign on my back did the trick too, even got a few toots and thumbs up, everyone I rode past had a good look, there are no other scooters like this one in town, and few other scooters at all, so I guess the SPV will get attention wherever she goes.
I went home for two reasons, one I still had to mow the lawn, and 102 kms at 40km/hr took me a couple of hours so the wrist and bum were getting a bit sore and I had only put in 5 litres of fuel and wasn't sure how long that would last. So 172kms in and no problems as yet. Will book the roadworthy inspection first thing Monday

this is my 6mth old Lab Polly, "helping" me and I've marked where the gears are to the numbers on the handle bar. having now ridden the bike I'm not concerned where they are, they are smooth and once they are run in they will be even better, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment