Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Flooding problem, switch & horn.

I have been having trouble starting the SPV lately, it has been a bit colder in the mornings but she was a three kick chick since I got her and things weren't right. I bump started it every day for three days, and even then it wasn't a nice "bump, sputter, idle" kind of start it would be a really slight fire and a lot of ticking , another fire, bit a bigger, then an off but regular fire then away she'd go. I generally turn off the fuel 50-100 metres from home and she konks out just as I pull into home and turn it off.
Today I tried something different, I turned the fuel on then off and she went off at three kicks as usual, then I turned the fuel on once she was idling. I noticed that the stand was fouling ever so slightly with the stand so I got down for a look and saw that there was a drip of what I think was fuel and- or oil just near the hole that the cables and wiring come out of the frame, I got some paper towel and cleaned it up and then saw some residual staining around the connection of the exhaust pipe to the cylinder and also on the cooling fins above the connection. I was late for work so I didn't do any more investigation, but I will be once I get home.

On the light switch front I have a new switch that has a different horn switch set up to the one I have. I will try and have it swapped over so it's the same. Top pic is the new one, see how the brass circle connection is pushed to break the circuit and activate the horn. Pic two is what I have now, except older, it has the brass circle push out to make contact and activate the horn.
NOTE. these photos have been borrowed from the Internet.
I'm sure there would be a way to wire the different switch up, but I'm going to sit tight on this one while I sort the fuel leak out.
The update on the new horn is I can't get the correct size self tapping screws to fit it here in town so I am trying to get my hands on some.

No comments:

Post a Comment