Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Task 1 & 2 down






I wanted to swap out the front brake outer as well as replace the broken inner cable, easy job. I just disconnected the cable at the bottom and pulled it through from the top, the top of the cable was all frayed and flared from where it had broken so it was better to pull it up. I then grabbed the new outer and threaded a nice long gear cable from a tandem bicycle through it and then the old one from top to bottom and just pulled it through. greased up the new inner and threaded it through and connected it up. good to go.
While I had the speedo and headlight out I decided to give the throttle side a good clean. disconnected the pin at the cable end and worked out the handle bar, cleaned it up, the grease on it was old, gritty and caked into all available crevice, some even had paint over it??
In between the cable connection and the headset hole there were three "spacer/washers" they were paper thin and one was flat, one curved and the last was squashed and bent, you can see what I mean in pic. 5.
In pic 6 you can see the hole that the end of the bar slides into, its not flat, not sure it should be like this but I need to replace these "spacers" as I now have around 5mm horizontal play in the handle bar.
Pic 2, 3, 4 are the tidied up headset, I whacked plenty of grease in there and put it all back together, it feels much smoother.
That done, I installed the new rewired headlight unit back on and it looks a treat, I'm going to miss the rattle from the old one with the loose glass, well not really.
I kicked her over this morning and the lights work great, its a new halogen bulb and is a ton brighter, a bonus is now the high AND low beam work from the switch on the handle bar, that wasn't the case before. cool.
Next on the list. Horn.

2 comments:

  1. Check out page 68 of the Haynes manual. It has the layout of the wavey (spring) washer and the flat ones.

    Also interesting to see part No. 36 & 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dust covers (part 36 & 25) weren't there to start with. There was a thread on these on MV recently aparently hard to come by. I retained washers 18 & 19 but 39 was stuffed.

    ReplyDelete