Friday, April 29, 2011

Fuel leak





This is where my royal wedding night went pear shaped.

I had a closer look at the leak and I loosened the exhaust connection to the cylinder, it had popped off when I first put it on and not done it up tight enough, it was hot when i fixed it on the side of the road and since then had slipped down a little more, say nearly 10mm so I hit it back up with my hand as far as it would go and tightened it up good.
You can see in pic one the fuel that had come out of the hole in the frame that the cable come through. I had a little bit of fuel left in the tank so I siphoned it out and took out the tank, the fist time and I was nervous at what I would find, as it turns out, with good reason. Pic two...well you can see the fuel pooling a little at the bottom, I'm going to go into what else I found later.
The fuel was leaking from the petcock, only slightly but enough, so I disconnected the fuel hose and tap lever, which looked to be welded about 80mm in from the petcock end, WTF is with calling it a petcock anyway??, I took it apart and there were very small particles in there which I think may have compromised the seal, there was a bit of crap in the bottom settling bit but that is to be expected. Not sure if I need to replace it but a good clean should do it.
Pic three is the bits of the petcock, I hadn't pulled the valve part off at this stage, you can see its old, but still works fine, you can also see the weld on the handle shaft and I'm not sure the two cut outs on the filtered reserve tube should be there, they are pretty crudely cut out. the rubber seal for the settlement bit was slightly perished as well, but still serviceable in a pinch.






2 comments:

  1. Don't tighten the exhaust to the swing arm right up, then use a plastic/rubber mallet and whack the exhaust up around the turn out of the cylinder. When it's up enough, tighten it. Then tighten the other nut on the swing arm.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pic 2 - There should be, ideally, a plastic tray seated in there. So any drips, don't go through and have the chance to evaporate in the lovely Italian sun.

    Pic 3 - Top right part should a glass one. Part to left of it is the seal for said "bowl" and looks a bit more than shagged.

    ReplyDelete