Thursday, January 26, 2012

Australia Day

I had an issue with height regarding the top of the rear shock mount, I didn't realise until I started to fit the airbox. I resorted to using the shorter spacer that was on there and will pick up a new one, it was odd that the new spacer and the new rubber buffer thing had miss matched thread sizes. Anyway, since I was there I decided to replace the main engine mount bolt as well, there's a photo below, I cleaned out the hole as best I could and it also gave me a chance to have a look in there behind the mount, the frame was ok, a little messy though.That all back together I fit the airbox and carb, set the carb up and then on to the kit. you'll notice the rings have a chamfer on it, not sure if this is the case normally, but there is a lot of talk about chamfering ports so the rings don't catch, my thought is that the rings being chamfered is the manufacturers way of counteracting this practice. I put the rings on the piston and oiled it up good and positioned it in the cylinder where it would normally sit and spent ten minutes pushing and pulling it to see how it felt.
I then installed the gasket, cylinder and then the studs, piston and rings and after lapping the head to be sure, it went on too. Job done.
after I put the cylinder cowl and flywheel cover on it was ready for a kick.
Fuel on, choke out, kick nope, kick, nothing, the kickstarter was noticeably harder to kick and felt smooth though, I went on to kick 8-9 times before I began to.start thinking about trouble shooting.
First thing I did was change the 7 plug to a new 6 one and gave it another go, on the second kick I got a splutter, third she kicked over. Gold
The idle was steady and the exhaust was louder, the vibration was strong and there was another rattle that wasn't there before, from the engine and the headset rattle was more pronounced, I let it run for 10 minutes to warm up a bit and turned it off before I died from 2T fumes. it was about midnight by this time so I called it a day.
In the morning of Australia Day, I wheeled it out into the sunshine and kicked it over, second kick, and let it idle while I cleaned up the workshop, put all my tools away or back into the scooters tool box, swept up, changed the oil bottle over for the mineral stuff and I then took her for a spin up and down the driveway a couple of times, now the driveway is about 150 metres long so I got up to about 30kmph in second and  ran out of space. The feel of the bike was totally different and solid, the pull in first is very noticeable, second as well and it has a louder crackle sound than before too.
I'm running 2.5% mineral oil in the tank. there is no specific information in the kits instructions about oil, plugs it recommends everything be clean....really.
The plan is to put a 7 plug back in and take it out over the weekend to max half throttle and just put some kms on the clock, I plan to ride it like normal for a few hundred kms and go to three quarter throttle for the same and then away I go. I don't plan to wait for 1000 kms, I just won't take it on the open highway for a while and just see how it goes. fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment