Saturday, January 28, 2012

First hit out.

At a balmy 33 degrees C I decided it was time to go for a ride. The speedo read 4424kms.
How did it go? Well it wasn't my best ride out.
The engine ran well, strong and I didn't take it past 60km or 1/2 throttle, up hills, different revs, through all gears, no problems.......what I was having problems with was the idle, it was like it was gradually getting faster and if I stopped to adjust it the engine would die until I turned the idle back up, and there was a lag in the acceleration and a few things that pointed toward possibly an air leak and a gear adjustment, so after 30kms I headed home.
What I did included, adding about 50-75ml of gear box oil, the plug was a light brown colour and dry and I noticed the engine was a lot hotter than I remember the last cylinder and head ever being, I turned the fuel air mix screw out 1/8th of a turn to see how it goes on the next run, I re-torqued the carb down and noticed that there was some soot and leaking at the base of the head and around the exhaust port, so I re-torqued the head and exhaust as well, I also found that the one of those little screw tops off the end of a spark plug was sitting just below the plug hole in the head, it was in between the fins, but would have caused some trouble had it ended up in the cylinder. I gave the whole engine a clean, the wheel and tyre as well, and left it to cool down properly.
I went back a few hours later and kicked it over, first kick, being on dusk the lights were bright and I had blown the rear running light, the first globe since I did the wiring, and I pushed down on the brake lever to see if the brake light was ok and the cable went snap, FFS. That's a job for tomorrow. The light was fine by the way.

1 comment:

  1. Takes a lot to break a rear brake cable Brett.

    ReplyDelete