Friday, January 6, 2012

Gear box




Much to my surprise, the gearbox was in pretty good condition, the cruciform wasn't worn, all the gears were in good condition, the only downside to my untrained eyes was the plate at the back of the christmas tree had some surface rust and was obviously old and the case stud in the bottom picture is held in by some sort of liquid nail type substance. All in all I was happy with what I could see, so I cleaned it up and once the new parts arrive I'll put it all back together, I'm guessing that all my parts and the new kit,  the new 24/24 carb and the few odds and ends will be here by next weekend, In the mean time I will be giving Gloria a good once over service and a wash. 
A good result all round, cue sigh of relief.
One thing I noticed while pulling the case apart was the amount of washers the guys used and have used on other parts of the scooters, literally hundreds and the quality couldn't be lower, they are paper thin which is probably why they use so many.....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brett, good look!
    As a matter in interest what Cylinder kit are you putting on the old girl?
    Goof luck with the rebuild.
    Ev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be a DR177 Ev, I plan to go through my reasons for choosing the DR when I fit it and kick it over.

    ReplyDelete