Sunday, January 29, 2012

Rattle.


I was surprised that the brake cable I thought was snapped wasn't it had slipped from one of the anchor point, even so I make sure those are done up tight so I'm a little confused as to why this happened, It would take some serious force coupled with significant wear to actually allow it to snap.
I disconnected both ends and cleaned them up from grit and crap and put it all back together and gave it a little bit more to be sure, I changed the rear running light and decided it was too hot today to head out, next weekend will be much cooler, so I can get a good run then.
I have read that the rattle sound you can hear in the short video is normal, but would be happy to find a solution if someone knows of one. 

3 comments:

  1. That's a bitchin rattle mate - was that recorded before or after you found that little spark plug cap?
    By the speed of it it sounds like something in the cylinder. Did you give it a nice coating of 2 stroke oil before you assembled it? And did both circlips holding the gudgeon pin locate correctly in the little grooves? Only other thing I can think of is that the piston itself if hitting the bottom of the spark plug! (I f'ing hope not!) but easily checked by removing the head I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idling sounds fine.

    I recall that sound being something with the flywheel. Bearings?

    Did you replace/upgrade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think it is the main bearings.

    The engine needs to cope with the excess revs etc. with the kit. Yes, it is a bolt on, but a kit needs more care. Well, down the track. A standard Sprint V is 7.7@5200. What does the kit say?

    Jetting?

    Whilst the engine is apart, I would just replace the bearings anyway, peace of mind.

    Also, if you are running a points system, they tend to bounce (the points that is) and struggle to cope. Who complains about having an electronic ignition on an older Vespa???

    Just some thoughts and observations Brett.

    Feel free to prove me wrong.

    Insert disclaimer blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete