Friday, January 6, 2012

Gear Selector




I started off by draining the oil, it was 950kms old and the usual grey colour, a few very small flecks of metal, normal stuff, I dropped the exhaust and pulled the cylinder head and barrel off, I noticed there was little resistance from the head nuts and there was some fuel/ oil kind of leaking from the head, this explained the most likely reason the bike was running ok but progressively getting harder to start was the lack of compression, not helped by me flogging the old girl the other week to see just how fast I could go
Since I cleaned it up last time, there was evidence that the rings just weren't doing their job, there was dark marks down the sides, out of interest I changed the old rings for the third oversize ones I had, the gap was a hell of a lot bigger than the maximum .35 the manual suggested. My decision was made for me. I ordered a new cylinder kit and it's on its way, I'll go more into the kit later.
I put the piston, cylinder, rings and head in a bag and put it on a shelf, I realise I could've just re-torqued the nuts and it would've been ok, but another bandaid wasn't going to fix it for ever.
So on to the gear selector, I took the kick start lever off, it was old and worn as expected, the spline was still in ok condition so it will go back on later. after I cleaned all the grease and crud off it, it's tyre colours began to shine, it would appear the tool of choice was an angle grinder and things are a little bent out of shape, nothing a hit with the dremmel won't fix, it is still solid, moves true and firmly, this too will get a good greasing and be put back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment