Monday, January 23, 2012

DR177 in da house

The cylinder kit arrived first thing this morning, a few days early too.
With it comes the nervous excitement of doing my first kit installation and most likely my first real run in. A quick online search will soon have the uninitiated swamped with information on the best way to do it.
Basicly two schools of thought. Gently gently or ride it like you stole it. and each method then breaks into a number of differing methods and it goes on and on.
I will read the manufacturers recommendations and incorporate my method, based solely on my research and opinion and I should be rolling in no time.
The Box

Kit unpacked and waiting

Old 150cc Piston and new 177cc, not much difference hehehe

The gasket on the bottom came with the kit, it had a significant crease in it, fortunately for me, I'm paranoid of something going wrong and like to have a spare just in case.

Just a comparison

Same

A new style of fuel/air screw, because of it's location I think I'd prefer the old screwdriver head, thread on the new one is finer too

I chose the DR177 over the other kits for a number of reasons, firstly it is not classed as a racing kit but more of a simple bolt on kit that gives you a little bit more ooomf over the standard 150cc engine. Its a cast iron kit that if, god forbid, I do seize up, I can put my newly learnt Vietnamese phrase "để vì lợi ích fucks"...and I can have it machined out and it can still be used, some of the other kits are aluminium and if you seize one they become an expensive paper weight.
Another reason is that other than chamfering the ports so the rings don't catch, I don't need to do any porting work on the cases. price was a factor also, but not the deal breaker.
The first thing I did was fit the airbox and gaskets, then the carb, throttle and choke.
The 24/24 came with a 55-160 idle jet and a 160-BE3-118 main jet stack, this seems to be what most people that have this kit seem to run, with the exception of the main jet being one or two points bigger or smaller. I have a 120 that I might put in initially and run slightly rich for the first run, I plan to use a B7HS plug, but have an 8 and 6 to try also. Tonight I will chamfer the ports, give the cylinder a good clean fit the gasket, cylinder, rings and piston, and get as far along as possible depending on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment