Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Getting to know you.

My first box of parts arrived today, so it's back to re-assembling the engine, the last couple of days has been spent just cleaning in the areas that are normally harder to get to., I have given the cases a good clean out as well, and I was surprised of how much general crap there was considering it should only be oil and the material that comes from metal wearing. I have since examined everything closer and found signs of wear that I am guessing would be normal but leaving the components still serviceable.
I'm not ready to go down the road of a full engine rebuild, the crank should probably be replaced and the con rod has a bush in the end where a caged needle bearing should be, confirming what some people have questioned in the past that some, or maybe more, of the engine is from a -----.
I don't have the funds to proceed with dropping the engine and overhauling what's left, I pushed the friendship with the wife spending on parts for this engine work as it is, the thing is I also don't want the scooter just sitting there in bits looking at me wondering when I was going to be riding it again.
This decision may have already made for me depending on how it all goes back together, a few days will tell.
Some pictures.





First three are just comparison between parts.
Four is the wear caused by the worn kick start gear.
The last is the collection of case nuts next to a new one, I omitted the 3075 washers, I used new washers, lock washers and nuts all round.
Last night I put the new kickstart components in and carefully installed the new case gasket with gasket cement, now I had a gasket set I was certain was a three port, that's what I ordered, over a year ago and it wasn't until recently I discovered it was a for a two port, so I needed to change it a little so it would fit, just cut the top of it to allow for the third port and one bolt hole that was about an inch or so from where it should be, no dramas.
The case went back together no problems, next was the gears selector gasket and I greased up the gear selector and put it back on, I then hooked up the gear cables and roughly located them and called it a night.
Next up will be the stator, it was set at 22 degrees BTDC, the kit, a DR177, is recommended to be set at or around 19 degrees, I'll hook the wiring back up and hopefully the kit arrives by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment