Saturday, November 6, 2010

The run in weekend done.

Yesterday I managed 231kms over 5 & 3/4 hrs, with one fuel and lunch stop. It was a long day in the saddle but a good one. Now as I said Gloria had a moment, after about 30kms I was heading up a slight incline and she had a backfire or two and felt sluggish, increasingly, so I just pulled in the clutch and pulled over, the bike stalled and I thought "f*ck, here we go" I was a good 15kms from home an wasn't in the mood for a push. I put the bike on its stand and did the hands on hips look for about 10 seconds...give it a kick and see I thought, she kicked over as smooth as and idled away, cool, So I abandoned my plan to tackle some of the brilliant backroads and headed back into town, at worst If she shits herself and dies I'll be a max of 4kms from home, thats walkable.
I headed back into town and the bike never missed a beat, that was weird so I continued to putt about 40-50kms, up to 60kms per hour at intervals, the bike did feel sluggish and not as responsive as before, but otherwise fine, I'm thinking it was maybe a small carby blockage that sorted itself out?? I dont really know so I will do a bit more reading and see if i can find a similar story.
Anyway I continued on for another 200 odd kms, no dramas, It was mostly flats and, as the afternoon wore on, the wind picked up but I kept going. once I got to 500 kms the brief was to hold it between 50 and 60 and occasionally up to 80, I was a bit nervous about going to 80 just in case I killed the scoot, and possibly myself, but I flirted with 65-70 a number of times and thought it best not to push it beyond that, on the first time I hit 70 the bike jumped out of gear, but I realised it was because I was hanging on too tight and sort of crouching down a bit, you all know the look, I popped her back in and away I went.
So today I just took it out for and hour or so, kept her on 60 and up to 70 every now and then, I'm still getting used to the noised and rattles and also the suspension at speed, you feel every bump and it feels like every bump is way bigger than it is. I did 80kms today bringing the total to 632kms all up. No major issues today either, I stalled once and overshot one corner but avoided hitting anything, a good wake up call that I'm actually not an awesome super duper rider on a F1 roadbike.
The new mirror is great, it's still new but as it gets a bit of tiny dust bits in the ball and socket joint it will need to be adjusted often, I had the same problem with the mirrors on the GT, they are fine now.
As soon as I got home I dumped the oil, put a few squirts in to rince out the leftover stuff the colour was as expected and in the afternoon sun I could see the tiniest of tiny flecks, which I think is normal with metal on metal at speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment