Sunday, December 5, 2010

a bit of a concern.






This is one of the rims that came with the bike, I was going to pull the others apart and will in time, but this one had the most rust in the join that I could see, now I didn't really expect brand new rims but they could've been in better condition.
Pic one. Indentations where the rim is bolted to the hub, some of these were at least one or two millimetres deep, I'd go as far to say that the shiny new paint on the outside may have been done with the wheels on the bike, bit of rust in there too.
Pic two. same deal.
Pic three. the 70% half of the rim pulled, quite a bit of rust, one of the fixed bolts was turning with the nut as I pulled it all apart, I had to clamp it with vice grips to get the nut off, rust rust rust everywhere, on the tyre bead, the tube had to be physically seperated from the rim, my concern is this was the tyre I had on the rear for the last 1340kms.
Pic four. the rim, speaks for itself really.
Pic five. The Kenda tyres that came with the bike, the top was on the rear and I was quite surprised to see how much it had worn after only 1340kms compared to the front, bottom tyre, only one of the three had a date stamp, it was made in early 2008 they others look newer but without a date stamp, who knows, they will do as spares anyway.
The new Michelin tyres dont have that "classic" look but I have a lot more peace of mind and confidence knowing that the tyres, rims and tubes are all new. Will take a pic of them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment