Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Compression & timing.




I was told there was three main possible reasons I was losing power and also having a sooty plug, compression, timing & points gap.
I confirmed the gap was within spec. I established TDC and 22 degrees and found the firing point was about 3-4mm out, so next was to make sure my compression was good.
It seems I have given either the hardware store and auto parts stores a visit each day this week....timing light, impact wrench, compression gauge, socket fitting for impact wrench, different spark plugs.......
So I hook up the gauge and give it 4 kicks to get it to 120psi, which is what is recommended, now I think I have to do it on a warm engine too, but that will have to wait because I need another ferking socket fitting for my torque wrench to get the flywheel back on. More on the flywheel later.
Pic. one. 120psi four kicks on a cold engine.
Pic. two. the gauge hooked up.
Pic. Three. My markings for the timing, when I did it the first time I used a felt tip pen, not a scribe, so I re-did it, there is a scribe mark down on the inside of the flywheel that you cant see in this photo.
Pic. four. I need a bigger bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment