Sunday, December 12, 2010

Post ride inspection





So I din't really know what I was looking for but I did the usual stuff, pulled and cleaned the plug, it was still dry black and sooty, I had actually only turned the screw 1/8th of a turn as I believed that this was a delicate adjustment so I gave it another 1/16th and will see how it goes.
There was oil on the screw, as you can see on pic two, this was obviously from the oil leak I had, which hasn't leaked since I fixed it, which is nice, and also oil on the frame above too, I cleaned it up as best I could, I pulled the air filter box cover off and had a look, everything looked ok, see pic one, all clean and new, except the choke wire was just that, wire and it was just threaded through and wound around its connection point to the carb. and it was rusty. This was the start of the new to do list, replace the choke wire and the actual air cleaner I will pull off and clean, probably replace it too depending on how it looks.
Pic three and four are the muffler with the nice shiny new paint, peeling away I know this is going to happen and will need to be cleaned up and repainted regluarly, the quality and the thickness is a bit sus to me. The connection point to the cylnder has seen better days and i have to get onto the surface rust on the cylinder cooling fins too which I plan to do as per haynes service schedule, when I de-coke the piston head. I have decided to just replace things as the break, fall off, or just look dodgy, like the rims. I have already started a new parts list for my next order.
One thing I noticed before I left on the sunday run that I forgot to mention, was that the rubber seal around the fuel tank was stained and appeared to be damaged from fuel, some of which had just leaked out when she was on her side getting the o-ring sorted, but I keep it clean when i fill up and there is always a little bit of fuel on there which probably, maybe, gets out through the cap or the rubber seal by me not tightening it up enough, but it might be the top of the tank? there isnt ever any fuel spots or a strong smell in the garage so I could probably rule that out, unless that was what the oily stuff in pic two is. Keep an eye on that too.
The ride into work today was ok, she only gave a small sputtering complaint when I hit a hill going into town, just once and that was it. see how she goes on the way home, the hill is much bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment